Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Beth B. Moore Launches New Entertainment Law Firm in Atlanta

Beth B. Moore, Esq. is a solo entertainment law practitioner in Atlanta, Georgia. She is a 2011 graduate of Georgia State University College of Law and a 2004 graduate of the University of Georgia. As an Atlanta native and lifelong resident, Beth grew up in the suburbs of Dunwoody and Norcross. She currently resides in Brookhaven, just north of downtown Atlanta.
Beth B. Moore, Entertainment Lawyer
www.BethBMoore.com

Why did you decide to go into entertainment law?

Beth: "I've always been an avid fan and consumer of music and art, and sometime during my mid-20s I realized that music and art were the only two things I really cared about (besides friends and family, of course), so I decided to make my passion my profession. Since I couldn't play a musical instrument to save my life, I asked myself, what's the next hardest thing I can do? That's how I decided I would go to law school - so I could use the knowledge and skills I learn in law school by applying it to the arts and entertainment industries."

What do you do as an entertainment attorney?

Beth: "My primary focus is contracts. If you need legal advice for drafting or reviewing a contract related to the entertainment industry, then I'm your gal. I eat, sleep and breath contracts. The entertainment industry is a collection of individuals and companies each interacting with one another through a series of contracts which govern each party's responsibilities, expectations and earnings. Without a contract in place, a relationship is more likely to fall apart, and issues are more likely to arise, especially when money becomes involved. I recommend the use of contracts to guard against trouble down the road, as well as to govern the behaviors of the parties during the contract period."

What are the rates you charge as an entertainment attorney?

Beth: "As of August 2012, my rate is $125 per hour (edit: As of August 2014, my rate is $175 per hour and is subject to change). Drafting contracts will typically take longer than reviewing a contract, depending on the situation. A contract that requires heavy negotiating with the opposing party will take longer than if the terms of the deal have already been settled. I cannot accept payment as a percentage of a client's future earnings at this time, unless there is an offer of payment from a third party already on the table. I am willing to work with each client's individual circumstances, but I do not work for free. Legal services are an investment in one's own career, and, should they choose to invest in me as part of that process, each client will enjoy very personal and passionate representation by Beth B. Moore."

What can I do to prepare myself for a career in the entertainment industry?

Beth: "Never stop studying the industry. Nobody comes into this game knowing everything; yet everything you need to know is available to you if you just know where to look. For the music industry, there are tons of great books like Donald Passman's All You Need To Know About the Music Business, the Brabec brothers' Music, Money & Success, and Moses Avalon's Confessions of a Record Producer. I'm also a big fan of music business podcasts. David Hooper's podcast "Music Business Radio" is one of the best I've found. Entertainment law students and practitioners will really appreciate Gordon Firemark's podcast "Entertainment Law Update," which offers a more academic perspective of the industry."

How can I keep in touch with you and The Beth B. Moore Law Firm?

Beth: "Yes, please come find and follow me - I'm all over the web! I try to stay active on a few different forums, all of which coalesce on my website, BethBMoore.com. I welcome your questions and shared news items about the entertainment industry, especially those related to updates and events in my home state of Georgia. Below are links to my social media sites. Thank you for taking the time to get to know me!"