Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Recap of 2013: The Year of The Law

Photo by Beth B. Moore for The Law Band (c) 2013
I fought The Law Band, and The Law Band won... though I can't say I fought back terribly hard. I never sought to be a band manager, but alas, here I am. The Law Band took me hostage with their music, turning me into a fully functioning Stockholm Syndrome patient with a badge and a mission. The deal was sealed with the December 2013 release of their album "Dust and Aether" and music video for "Crazy Lonesome" (which won "Best Music Video" at the 2013 GA Music Awards, by the way!).

Aside from loving The Law Band's music, I accepted the gig in part to better myself as a lawyer. It's one thing to explain a legal concept on paper; it takes an entirely different skill set to apply those concepts in real life. I wanted to live in the trenches, to learn a new perspective, so I could advise my clients better, and on a more personal basis.


In 2013 I learned how to manage bookings, accountings and relationships. I made more friends (both real and online) in one year than most people will know in a lifetime. I've had personal and professional successes, as well as my fair share of heartbreaks and failures. I've learned that band membership can be negotiable and revokable. I've accepted the absurdity that lies at the conjunction of art and commerce - two long-time foes - and the illogic that often accompanies it. 


The Beth B. Moore Law Firm is still alive and thriving in the cultured Atlanta community, and I'm having a great time exploring the legal market with the added benefit of my managerial experience. If you ever get a chance to see The Law Band live, you're likely to find me lurking somewhere in the venue, probably taking photographs. Come take one with me!